Tuesday 28 April 2015

Day 7380

Rosie update: o.o I have also written an email to Eva o.o  Made passive aggressively awesome by a lovely friend o.o but yes o.o


Dear Eva,
I am writing this letter as I wish to formally express my continued concern about the marking scheme which pertains to cartoon animation. A predominant aspect of my concern is centred on how it was introduced to students, that being a month before the hand in. I am also concerned about the relevance of the "diary". I and many on the course are greatly frustrated over this issue and I fear that a great portion of my time and work has been potentially wasted.
Any clarity you could shed over these issues would be greatly appreciated. I am sure you are aware and appreciate from reading the email from Angie that my views are not isolated as the email details the student’s opposition towards the aforementioned changes and lack of clarity. However, I felt it was appropriate to send this email and to detail my own account of concerns as one of those students, too help you further understand the reasoning for our queries. They are as follows:

1) The time frame of a month before hand-in, in my opinion is unreasonable. Admittedly the deadline was pushed, but we are now in the same situation as before with under a month to go and still no clear mark scheme for this subject. It is not that we do not wish to work or excel in this subject, but feel we are not being given the appropriate time or information to do so. It unfortunately also appears to us as students who are purchasing the commodity of the higher education and the facilities that you provide, that the lack of transparency over this issue stems from either an ineffective planning of this module or worse stems from a lack of organisational competency. This as you can understand would be an issue that could not be solved adequately within the course and would indeed rather be an issue appropriately dealt with through external parties within the university.


 2) The "notes" we have been asked to provide were originally intended for our own personal studies. It was never suggested that they would be marked. Could you perhaps provide us with their relevance for marking and explain why this is a featured change you have made so close to the hand in date?

3) The marking scheme that we seem to be currently marked against is based on a Unit that differs to the work we've actually been completing. Is the structure of this marking criteria transferrable in a pragmatic sense, and how would you suggest we associate or draw links to it in relation to our own work?


 4) There has also been a general sense of inconsistency and lack of forethought during the course of this module, aside from the marking scheme. For example being told that all the work we would do with Vincent would be in class, being told by Vincent that pre-Christmas work wouldn’t be marked, and then Vincent being the primary marker with things done on a weekly basis. These issues, not being the fault of Vincent, bring me onto the final point I wish to make. Could we as an academic and paying student body receive some sense of reassurance that if we choose to enter our third year on your course that the issues we are raising will remain an error of this year. We are paying a great deal of money per year and feel that this year has not been a positive reflection of our investments.

 Please would you clarify the exact mark scheme in detail as soon as is possible and have it emailed out to everyone concerned? As a student I would appreciate being able to use my time more efficiently and can only imagine how regrettable you must feel for these unfortunate findings. I appreciate your efforts to help us do our work better and I look forward to your response.


Sincerely,




Roseanna Warr
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(The original angry one that was not sent is below for any humans interested~)


Dear Eva,

I wish to express my concern regarding the mark scheme in regards to cartoon animation and further call it to your attention. Specifically about how it was introduced to students a month before the hand in and the relevance of the "diary". I feel this has caused us as students much personal frustration and a fair amount of wasted time. So can you please help by giving clarity on the issue.
I am sure you have read in Angies emails that contain the relevant information and details of the students opposition towards this whole issue. However I would like to detail my own points.

1) Telling us a month before hand in was ridiculous - Admittedly the deadline was pushed, but we are now in the same situation as before with under a month to go and still no clear mark scheme for this subject. Overall the level of organisational competency is not to a satisfactory level.


 2) The "notes" were for our own personal studies. It was never said they would be marked on. So this sudden expectation is unfounded and unfair.


3) The mark scheme that we seem to be currently marked against is based on a Unit that was completely different to what we've actually done. So I'd like an explanation/justification as to why we are being marked against it.


 4) There has never been a clear mark scheme for this unit until now. And even now it's pretty unclear. ((With you originally saying that all the work we would do with Vincent would be in class (when we were bogged down with group project). Then Vincent saying pre Christmas work wouldn't be marked. Then Vincent being the primary marker with things done on a weekly basis etc.)) I would like to clarify I do not blame Vincent on this matter, but am just illustrating the constant uncertainty we have had throughout this course.


 5) And finally what I feel is most important is we as the students paying to be on this course, should have an apology of some kind and an assurance that this level of service and poor organisation won't be happening in Third year.  Let me assure you that a dismissive two-line apology with not satisfy me. As I find it a little sickening that we are paying so much money for an overall poor service.
Please would you clarify the exact mark scheme in detail ASAP? And have it emailed out to everyone concerned.  As a student I would appreciate being able to use my time more efficiently. I appreciate your efforts to help us do our work better and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,



Roseanna Warr


Casual update on all the shenanigans a week or so after all of this.


Evas reply....

Roseannea
 I will be there tomorrow and next week I will be dealing with cartoon unit on Wedns with your reps If you want to talk to me about it I will have time on Monday or Tuesday after 1 Let me know if you would like to meet me
Regards Eva



She didn't even spell my name correctly O.O Was so pissed off, didn't address any of my points and was just ill considered overall.

So under Elliotts guidance I wrote a response...To the union, ccing her, her boss, and the head of CT into it, and our course reps, directly below is my letter and then below that is the one El re wrote including all the details :

Dear Kayleigh,
Since myself and fellow classmates are currently struggling with communicating our points to teachers and receiving a valid, helpful response. I am turning to you as a last resort. I have seen in your manifesto that you have pledged to improve communication between lecturers, helping deadline clashes and miscommunications and would like to ask for your help on the matter at hand.
For one of our units "Cartoon animation" a month before the deadline we were told that a production diary should also be handed in. We were never informed to do this and the teachers tried to say that our "notes" would count. More worryingly however it has brought to our attention that we are being marked against the brief from last year. Following a replacement teacher for this unit we have learnt different things than the original brief and were under the impression we would be marked accordingly. This has become a point of concern as we have not learnt the information needed for last years version of the unit and have received insufficient response from the moderators of the unit. As the content of last years Cartoon animation and this years are completely different. I have also attached an image dated 25.11.14 that states there would be a new brief uploaded onto moodle in the next week however this never came to pass.
Below is the email I recently sent Eva who is in charge of the animation course and also her reply. I am strongly dissatisfied with her response as, not only did she spell my name incorrectly, but failed to address a single point presented. Furthermore in her email, the suggested meet up dates of next week are ill considered as we have a deadline on the Tuesday and I feel this is a matter that should be dealt with ASAP not pushed to 19 days before the deadline. I feel the lack of attention and dismissive nature of her response are simply disappointing and make me feel that this is not being addressed as importantly as it should be. I have come to believe that the union is our representation and on this matter we need representation.
This is a problem that has been on-going throughout the course and everyone taking cartoon animation the unit in question is dissatisfied with the level of competency being shown in the running of this unit. And are disgusted that we the students so close to deadlines are having to chase information that should have been readily available months in advance.
Both of the course reps have been following up this issue since it was first presented a month before the original hand in and I have included Angies email below also, that has not been responded to in the last 10days. I would also like to address that two of the three lessons that Vincent was meant to teach have been cancelled due to his prolonged illness. One of which was rescheduled but again cancelled. We have to date received no clarification as to what/how exactly we are meant to hand this in. Our Moodle page which contained the unit brief for the cartoon unit was unavailable from the beginning of April and only today has been made available again. The brief has clearly not been touched/updated as it says the hand in date is still April 2014 and it is clear to see that we have not been taught the necessary information for the credits needed in this unit.
The money we pay the university isn't for a set number of lessons, but for the facilities and the capacity to complete the course in regards to credit. We haven't had the information presented until a month before the hand to get this credit. It also has to be done through a formal complaint so the law of consumer rights is on our side and within 20 days of the end of the academic year. This is my understanding so far of refund system. As such I was wondering if you could inform me further about the refund policy's of the university for failing to provide the information needed for the credits and how to make the formal complaint if needed. I trust you will look into this and see that proper action is taken and I will gladly do what I can to be of assistance.Sincerely,Roseanna Warr. 

(I included angie's letter and the other things attached.) 


Which Elliott made awesomes for me and you can read the full thing below



Dear Kayleigh,
My name is Roseanna Warr and I am a second year undergraduate student of Animation here at the university. I have for the most part enjoyed my course, the university and city of Portsmouth. Regrettably, issues with a module on the course I am studying are now causing me and fellow students a great deal of grievance.
I am turning to you, on behalf of our class, as a last resort and in an effort to make a formal complaint. I have seen in your manifesto that you pledged to ‘improve communication between lecturers, help with deadline clashes and miscommunications’ and would like to ask for your help on the matter at hand. The unit in question is "Cartoon Animation".
A month before the deadline we were told that a production diary should also be handed in along with our finished work. Due to the long process and nature of our practical assignment we were shocked to find this out so late and were surprised that we were never informed to do this previously. More worryingly however, it has also been brought to our attention that we are being marked against the brief from last year, which was an entirely separate project.
This was all brought to light following the introduction of a replacement teacher for this unit. This teacher has revealed to us new information, different to that which we had learnt from the original brief and some of the new information means that we will be marked very differently to how we perceived we would at the start of this project.
Using the process of student representation a collectively drawn email was sent to the moderators of the unit by a student rep on our course. The main concerns we faced as a collective student body were that there was a great lacking in operational competency, no clear or objective standard for us to complete our work by and lastly, that those responsible on the course for considering and understanding our complaints were not particularly bothered by our concerns. This email received no response.
I have also attached an image dated 25.11.14 that states there would be a new brief uploaded onto moodle in a week a so from that date. As this was never achieved it highlights the organisational incompetency of people managing this module and draws attention to the fact that there is still no credible marking criteria for our project, which is a substantial mark for this module and year two. Having been frustrated by the lack of response and inconsistency, and having felt that I had exhausted the appropriate representation I decided to email Eva who is in charge of the Animation course. This is the email:

My own email.
> On 28 Apr 2015, at 17:31, Roseanna Warr <roseanna.warr@myport.ac.uk> wrote: > >
Dear Eva,
I am writing this letter as I wish to formally express my continued concern about the marking scheme which pertains to cartoon animation. A predominant aspect of my concern is centred on how it was introduced to students, that being a month before the hand in. I am also concerned about the relevance of the "diary". I and many on the course are greatly frustrated over this issue and I fear that a great portion of my time and work has been potentially wasted.
Any clarity you could shed over these issues would be greatly appreciated. I am sure you are aware and appreciate from reading the email from Angie that my views are not isolated as the email details the student’s opposition towards the aforementioned changes and lack of clarity. However, I felt it was appropriate to send this email and to detail my own account of concerns as one of those students, too help you further understand the reasoning for our queries. They are as follows:
1) The time frame of a month before hand-in, in my opinion is unreasonable. Admittedly the deadline was pushed, but we are now in the same situation as before with under a month to go and still no clear mark scheme for this subject. It is not that we do not wish to work or excel in this subject, but feel we are not being given the appropriate time or information to do so. It unfortunately also appears to us as students who are purchasing the commodity of the higher education and the facilities that you provide, that the lack of transparency over this issue stems from either an ineffective planning of this module or worse stems from a lack of organisational competency. This as you can understand would be an issue that could not be solved adequately within the course and would indeed rather be an issue appropriately dealt with through external parties within the university.
2) The "notes" we have been asked to provide were originally intended for our own personal studies. It was never suggested that they would be marked. Could you perhaps provide us with their relevance for marking and explain why this is a featured change you have made so close to the hand in date?
3) The marking scheme that we seem to be currently marked against is based on a Unit that differs to the work we've actually been completing. Is the structure of this marking criteria transferrable in a pragmatic sense, and how would you suggest we associate or draw links to it in relation to our own work?
4) There has also been a general sense of inconsistency and lack of forethought during the course of this module, aside from the marking scheme. For example being told that all the work we would do with Vincent would be in class, being told by Vincent that pre-Christmas work wouldn’t be marked, and then Vincent being the primary marker with things done on a weekly basis. These issues, not being the fault of Vincent, bring me onto the final point I wish to make. Could we as an academic and paying student body receive some sense of reassurance that if we choose to enter our third year on your course that the issues we are raising will remain an error of this year. We are paying a great deal of money per year and feel that this year has not been a positive reflection of our investments.
Please would you clarify the exact mark scheme in detail as soon as is possible and have it emailed out to everyone concerned? As a student I would appreciate being able to use my time more efficiently and can only imagine how regrettable you must feel for these unfortunate findings. I appreciate your efforts to help us do our work better and I look forward to your response.
Sincerely,
Roseanna Warr

I believe it is fair to state that although my email is direct, the nature of it is not overtly standoffish and within the considered lack of organisation and concern expressed by Eva and other responsible parties, the email is incredibly well-mannered. This is her unfortunate response.

From: Eva Palacios <eva.palacios@port.ac.uk> Date: 28 April 2015 at 19:06 Subject: Re: Cartoon animation. To: Roseanna Warr <roseanna.warr@myport.ac.uk>
Roseannea I will be there tomorrow and next week I will be dealing with cartoon unit on Wedns with your reps If you want to talk to me about it I will have time on Monday or Tuesday after 1 Let me know if you would like to meet me
Regards Eva  
Sent from my iPhone
 

Ignoring the evident incompetency in not even spelling my name correctly, I feel this email is substandard at addressing the very legitimate concerns in my email. Furthermore in Eva’s email, the suggested meet-up dates of next week are ill considered as we have a deadline on the Tuesday and I feel this is a matter that should be dealt with ASAP and not be pushed even further to 19 days before the deadline.
I feel the lack of attention and dismissive nature of Eva’s response are simply unacceptable. It seems to be the case that for whatever reason either through intention or imprudence, not that this is particularly apropos, our concerns are not being legitimised. I have come to believe that the union is our representation and on this matter we need representation. This is a problem that has been on-going throughout the course and everyone taking the cartoon animation unit in question is dissatisfied with the level of aptitude being displayed by those running it.

It is horrible that we the students, so close to deadlines, are having to chase basic information that should have been readily available at the beginning of this module. Both of the course reps have been following up this issue since it was first presented a month before the original hand in and I have included Angies email below also, that has not been responded to in the last 10days.

I would also like to address that two of the three lessons that Vincent was meant to teach have been cancelled due to his prolonged illness. One of which was rescheduled but cancelled again. We do not blame Vincent for this understandably, rather the people responsible for organisation.

To date we have received no clarification as to what/how we are meant to be handing in for marking. Our Moodle page which contained the unit brief for the cartoon unit was unavailable from the beginning of April and only today has been made available again. The brief has clearly not been touched/updated as it says the hand in date is still April 2014 and it is clear to see that we have not been taught the necessary information for the credits needed in this unit. The money we pay the university I’m sure is not for a set number of lessons, but for the facilities and the capacity to complete the course in regards to achieving the credits and there is a systematic failure on the part of the university on this matter and we require your help urgently!

We are now in an observable process of making a legitimate and formal complaint as is required by the law of consumer rights. If it is the case that we are purchasing the commodity of education then that education must be reflective of what we were promised and what is typical of an equivalent course elsewhere. As such I was wondering if you could inform me further about the refund policy of the University in the event that it is required in a future event, and how to continue the formal complaint process if needed. I trust you will look into this and see that proper action is taken and I will do what I can to be of assistance. I have cc’d Eva, her management superiors as well as the student reps for our course and year.
Kind regards
Roseanna Warr

Angies emails with the most recent at the top.
Von: "Angelika Waigand" <angelika.waigand@myport.ac.uk>
Datum: 19.04.2015 16:19
Betreff: Re: IMPORTANT TO READ _ CARTOON ASSESTMENT
An: "Eva Palacios" <eva.palacios@port.ac.uk>
Cc:
Hello Eva,
sorry, I am incredibly busy and your email kind of drowned within all of the other ones I have received.
I am currently trying to find out the general consensus within the class and trying to collect feedback from everyone so I can pass that on to you and tell you what we all think and want done. I really want to make sure that I am not just speaking for a few people but for everyone in the class, which is difficult with the Easter break and thus not being able to meet up with everyone and talk it out.
Just to make this clear once more, we are not blaming Vincent at all. We know he took over as a tutor and that the organisation of the unit as such is not just up to him but also up to you and the faculty. We are very happy with him as a tutor and he has done an amazing job and taught us incredibly valuable lessons.
As I mentioned, I'm still collecting opinions, but I can tell you this:
It wasn't a misunderstanding, no one ever mentioned to us to do a diary for our assessment up until one month before the deadline, which is absolutely unacceptable. So please don't make it out as such. It wasn't a misunderstanding, we were simply never told.
The unit has completely changed from the brief. Which is completely fine as such. We got told there would be a new brief in December and that we would be assessed on our animations only.
But - we never got a new brief and it was never mentioned again.
I am now questioning: Why is there suddenly a need to fit and squeeze in more things (short-notice!) into the assessment that are not based on the information we received and rather based on the unit as it was taught last year?
We are not worried about it being a difficult task to fulfill at all. The problem and the point is, that we were never told to do this at any point in this academic year up until the beginning of April.
Yes, Vincent told us to make notes. But they were for our own personal studies! The sudden expectation of them being marked is unfounded and unfair, if you understand what I mean.
So, for now, my question to you is, why is there a sudden need for a diary in our submission in the first place? Is it really necessary? If yes, for what valid reasons?
Why can't we spend the last three classes with Vincent focusing on teaching us many more valuable lessons which we would seriously REALLY enjoy(!!) Instead of desperately trying to cover and squeeze in topics so we can submit a hastily made "diary" of some sort?
Best,
Angie
On 2 April 2015 at 22:09, Eva Palacios <eva.palacios@port.ac.uk> wrote:
I agree with you Angelika,
The running of this unit has not been smooth at all and there was a misunderstanding of the outcomes.
However Vincent will come for 3 more weeks to help you with the diaries and you have more than a month to finish them so I can see that It will be possible to achieve the outcomes with no much struggle
What is the other option you suggest ?
I might be able to do something with your suggestion
If you want to give me a call and discuss it you can my number is 07880501960
I am off on Tuesday so after the 7th it will be difficult to catch me
My point of view is that to update the dairies will make you learn more and refresh what you did with no much stress to deliver but if you have another suggestion I will try to do something about it.
On 1 April 2015 at 16:46, Angelika Waigand <angelika.waigand@myport.ac.uk> wrote:
Hello Eva,
let me clarify the confusion:
Yes, we got told to write notes - for our own records and learning. But none of us recall we ever got told we would get assessed on them??
We got told in November or December that we would be assessed weekly on our weekly exercises and that we would receive a new unit brief on moodle. Then we got told two weeks ago or so we had to submit these weekly exercises so a second tutor could asses them as well.
Which is still fine, you know.
But. 
Firstly: We never received an official new unit brief.
Secondly: Suddenly telling us one month before the deadline about something we didn't know about is not okay nor reasonable.
There has been a lot of changes going on the whole year, we get a new one in every single week lately and it's upsetting us.
I know we will have a meeting with you, Evan and me after the holidays and talk about this but I still think it is worth noting and telling you - especially as a course rep - that a lot of us don't feel the recent change/notification is fair on us at all and that we don't think it is acceptable.
Best,
Angie


Evas reply 8mins later o.o

Dear Roseanna
I will be available to discuss the best solution for your class regarding this unit tomorrow thurds.
I will arrange a meeting with all of you tomorrow at 2 o'clock and I will be happy to talk to you individually to make sure you don't have any further stress regarding this unit
Regards
Eva Palacios

Sam 30mins later

Hi Angelika, Roseanna and all other students on CT5CART
Many thanks for your emails concerning the CT5CART unit and the concerns you have with the assessment and delivery of the unit.
I have spoken with Eva and it is clear that there are a number of issues in the emails which urgently need addressing
Can I suggest that we all meet to discuss this unit at 13:00 tomorrow (Thursday 30th April)?
I have booked Eldon ELW1.09 and look forward to finding some solutions tomorrow.
Best wishes
Sam Llyons

My response o.o (Stealing Els words about the best solution)

Dear Eva and Sam,
I will be attending a portrait anatomy class tomorrow and will not know until then if I will be able to make it on time. However I feel the best solution in this situation would be for you to provide us with a well constructed marking criteria that is achievable based on our working projections and targets through the information we have been provided this year. And possibly extend the hand in further. However for the meeting tomorrow I would like to ask Kayleigh if you would also be able to attend and I have also put a post up in our Facebook group to see who is available to attend tomorrow for your suggested time of 1pm to which the response so far has been positive.

Thank you both for replying so swiftly, kind regards,


Roseanna Warr

We had a meeting the next day, they dropped the hole diary bs and gave us a generic mark scheme for this unit. They have assured us that the markers will be aware of the situation and Sam gave a verbal apology and they gave us a verbal assurance this kinda thing won't be happening next year.  They also explained there excuse which were:
  1. Tony dropped out the day before we were meant to start this unit meaning they had to find a new human.
  2. They found Vincent and to make up for the 6 weeks no teaching doubled the teaching hours for the remaining time.
  3. Before the start of each academic year all the teachers gather together and discuss deadlines and such, because Vincent came in later this never happened and his deadlines were not addressed.
  4. Because this was Vincent's first year teaching he was making it up as he went along week by week and so we didn't have a clear brief as there wasn't a set curriculum we were following. 
  5. Which is why this whole fiasco was left so late
  6. Vincent was ill for the following two lessons (as he was sick) so, they didn't update him because he was ill and they were planning on telling him that they were going to drop the diary when he got back before the lesson...(Which means that lesson he'd have presumably planned around the diary and fitting it in would have been kinda useless) Eva was also not aware that he had been sick... which is why we weren't told
  7. Ultimately it's Vincent's unit and so he should have a say on it
  8. The reason they took over was because it was left so late and we kicked up such a fuss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment